As a pet owner in California, it’s important you sort out the best pet insurance in California for you and your fur friend.
In this article, you’ll learn about some of the pet insurance companies in California that can cover the needs of your pet.
Not only that, but you’ll also learn the best ways to choose pet insurance in California as well as the California pet Laws.
In addition, we have answered some of the most frequently asked questions concerning pet insurance in California.
So, let’s get into the details of this article, but before that let’s find out how pet insurance in California works.
You may also like to read about the 4 Best and Cheapest Pet Insurance Companies in Texas.
Table of Contents
- How Does Pet Insurance In California Work?
- 4 Best Pet Insurance In California
- 1. Lemonade Pet Insurance:
- How Much Does Lemonade Pet Insurance Cost In California?
- 2. Spot Pet Insurance:
- How Much Does Spot Pet Insurance Cost In California?
- 3. ASPCA Pet Insurance:
- How Much Does ASPCA Pet Insurance Cost In California?
- 4. Embrace Pet Insurance:
- How Much Does Embrace Pet Insurance Cost In California?
- Summary of the Best Pet Insurance in California
- How Do I Choose The Best Pet Insurance In California?
- Other Information For Pet Owners In California
- California Pet Owners
- California Pet Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions
How Does Pet Insurance In California Work?
Many pet insurance companies allow you to select from a variety of reimbursement options and there are several components that make up a pet insurance policy.
Below are the things to look out for when enrolling for pet insurance in California.
1. Premium Payments:
In order for you to keep your policy active, you will have to pay a monthly premium.
This cost is generally based on several factors which are:
- Your pet’s age, breed, and gender
- Coverage amount
- Your zip code
- The type of insurance company you choose
A deductible is an amount of the vet bills that you are to pay before your pet insurance coverage starts.
For instance, an insurance company might give you options to choose from $250, $500, and $800 deductible.
It’s important to note that choosing a smaller deductible will increase the monthly cost of your policy.
So, best advice: don’t choose a deductible that is too high or too low, stay on the average level.
3. Reimbursement Percentages:
This reimbursement level is basically the amount your insurance company will reimburse you as well as the portion of the vet bill you must pay.
If for instance, you choose a 70% reimbursement level, you will be responsible for 30% of the vet cost.
Now, it’s important to note that choosing a lower reimbursement level will reduce your monthly cost but you will have to pay more vet bills.
4. Annual Maximum Coverage Limit:
Some pet insurance companies have a certain annual coverage limit they can attain to a policy.
What this means is that they can only pay claims up to a certain amount in a year.
So, if you choose a $5000 coverage limit and you exceed this amount in a year, for the rest of the year you will pay the vet bills out of your pocket.
Although, there are some pet plans that offer unlimited coverage options.
Keep reading as we learn about the best pet insurance in California.
You will love to see this article about the 4 Best and Cheapest Pet Insurance Companies In New York (NYC).
4 Best Pet Insurance In California
1. Lemonade Pet Insurance:
This is an insurance company that is worth considering because they provide one of the lowest monthly costs.
With the use of the company’s app, you can submit a claim and get reimbursement in minutes according to the company.
Basically, they offer a variety of coverage limits, reimbursement and deductibles, and discount options.
Also, they offer an inexpensive boost coverage and several ads-on as a result, making it a more comprehensive coverage for your animal.
This add-on includes packages like physical therapy, hydrotherapy, and acupuncture.
That said, Lemonade has 3 different types of waiting periods, which are 2 days waiting period for accidents, 14 days for illnesses, and 6 months for cruciate ligament injuries.
How Much Does Lemonade Pet Insurance Cost In California?
Here is an example of the monthly premium quote that you can get in San Diego California for policies with $5,000 of annual coverage, 80% reimbursement rates, and $250 deductibles:
For Dogs: $14–$65 per month
For Cats: $14–$31 per month
- The best plan for young kittens and puppies
- Offers a 2days waiting period for accidents.
- No age limit for coverage
- Optional wellness plan available
- Multiple discount programs
- Fast processing of claims
- Multiple policies and riders are available
- Offers a multi-pet discount of 10%
- No 24/7 pet telehealth line
- Don’t cover behavioral treatments
- No unlimited benefits
Also, read about the 5 Best Pet Insurance Companies For Dogs and Cats in 2023.
2. Spot Pet Insurance:
This particular pet insurance company offers two types of policies for cats and dogs.
One is for accidents only and the other coverage is for both accidents and illnesses which also include exam fees and vet visit fees.
They offer two types of Wellness and preventive care coverage options which are Gold and platinum.
So, you can add any of the options to your accident only or accident and illness plan for an additional cost.
Spot provides you with various ways to customize your plan with options for annual coverage limits, deductibles, and reimbursements.
In addition, the spot makes it perfect for those who need only minimal coverage with their cheap plan on accident-only coverage.
That said, they cover advanced treatments like chemotherapy and surgery, stem-cell therapy, and acupuncture.
How Much Does Spot Pet Insurance Cost In California?
Here is a sample quote to show you the value of Spot’s customizable accident-only coverage.
Which does not vary based on the breed or age like other plans.
For the policy with $2,500 of annual coverage, an 80% reimbursement rate, and a $250 deductible on pets in San Jose, California.
Dogs: $17.84 per month
Cats: $12.01 per month
- No upper age limit
- 30 days money back guarantee
- Covers the veterinarian’s office visit fee for illness and accidents
- Offers a multi-pet discount of 10%
- Optional wellness plan available
- Has a 24/7 pet telehealth line
- A low $100 deductible is available
- Its standard plan includes microchipping.
- Has option for unlimited annual coverage
- Doesn’t cover pets under eight weeks old.
- The waiting period for accidents is 14 days
Check out these 3 Best and Cheapest Pet Insurance Companies In Canada.
3. ASPCA Pet Insurance:
ASPCA pet health insurance is one of the best due to its partnership with the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).
They offer accident-only, accident and illness, and preventive care for cats and dogs as well as horses.
That said, ASPCA’s premium rates are affordable and they are more flexible when it comes to certain policy terms.
For example, while other companies set an age limit on coverage, they guarantee coverage no matter the age of your animal.
Also, other pet insurance companies do not cover pre-existing conditions; however, ASPCA handles pre-existing conditions that are curable.
This means that if your animal has a curable condition and is free from the treatment and symptoms for at least 180days it can be covered.
However, the pre-existing conditions don’t apply to knee conditions or ligaments. So if any of these appear during the waiting period, any future ones won’t be covered.
Read this article to learn about the Top Pet Insurance Options for a Pet with Pre-existing Conditions.
How Much Does ASPCA Pet Insurance Cost In California?
Below are some sample prices from the monthly quote in San Jose, California with selected coverage of $5,000 per year, a reimbursement rate of 80%, and an annual deductible of $250:
Dogs: $42–$99 per month
Cats: $23–$44 per month
- Covers horses in addition to dogs and cats.
- Pre-existing conditions are covered after 180 days.
- No upper age limit
- Covered stem cell therapy and microchipping.
- Includes coverage for Exam fees
- Offers a multi-pet discount of 10%
- Has a 24/7 telehealth line
- Doesn’t offer unlimited annual coverage
- Limited choice of deductible
- Has a waiting period of 14 days for accidents, which is longer than some other insurers.
4. Embrace Pet Insurance:
Embrace pet insurance provides you with a variety of options for coverage, reimbursement, and deductibles within your budget.
Also, you can lower your premium with a diminishing deductible that reduces it by $50 each year you don’t have a claim paid
Their coverage includes accidents, illnesses, and other conditions. In addition, they also offer an accident-only policy to pet owners in California.
However, when you buy an accident-only policy you won’t be covered for conditions included in accident and illness plans.
Embrace is best for older pets because they are willing to offer coverage for animals that are up to the age of 15.
In addition, all of their policies come with a 30days money-back guarantee or a prorated refund.
How Much Does Embrace Pet Insurance Cost In California?
Here is the quote we received on pets in San Jose, California for accident and illness plans with $5,000 of annual coverage, a $200 deductible, and an 80% reimbursement rate:
Dogs: $34–$58 per month
Cats: $17–$35 per month
- They offer a 10% multi-pet discount, 5% military discount, and 10% discount through their employee benefits program.
- Features an online chat on its website for customer service
- 2 days waiting period for accident
- Covers the veterinarian’s office visit fee for illness and accidents.
- Has a 24/7 pet telehealth line.
- Consider ligament (CCL) tears a preexisting condition and as a result, will not cover CCL in one leg if previously diagnosed in the other.
Now you know the best pet insurance in California, continue reading to learn how to choose the best insurance for you and your fur friend.
See also, the Spirit Airlines Pet Policy For Travelling With Dogs and Cats.
Summary of the Best Pet Insurance in California
- Lemonade: Best overall
- Spot: Most customizable plan
- ASPCA: Best for new pet owners
- Embrace: Best for determining deductibles
How Do I Choose The Best Pet Insurance In California?
Comparing different types of pet insurance can sometimes be stressful, due to the different types of coverage, exclusions, and pricing.
Despite this, it’s still, however, possible but tedious.
Here are some suggestions for choosing the best pet insurance in California while weighing your alternatives.
1. Your Access To Care
When it comes to reimbursement, most top pet insurance plans will offer coverage for any licensed veterinarian or care provider.
Sometimes, some carriers require you to see a vet in a particular network that might not be close to your state.
Especially when it has to deal with alternative care providers such as behavioral therapists, chiropractors, or acupuncturists.
Ultimately, be sure the policy you’re enrolling in covers all of the care you provide your pup.
2. Understand How The Plan Will Be Used
Before enrolling in a plan, you must know what your pup needs most in order for you to choose the plan that best suits them.
For example, if you are looking for a plan that only kicks in during emergencies or during illness, injuries, and everyday expenses you’ll have to specify.
Above all, what determines the right plan for you is the type of coverage you want for your cat or dog.
3. Look For A Multipet Discount
There are some insurance companies that offer multi-pet discounts. For instance, Spot gives customers who insure multiple pets a 10% discount.
In addition, insurance companies also offer extra discounts like military or claim-free discounts.
4. Choose a plan with a 24/7 vet helpline
If for instance your cat or dog mistakenly ate a poisonous plant on a Sunday afternoon, your vet might not be able to help you through the process.
This is where your vet helpline comes in and not all pet insurance companies offer a 24/7 vet helpline to answer questions.
Embrace and Spot pet insurance companies offer a 24/7 vet helpline.
So, selecting an insurance company that offers such will put your mind at ease.
5. Find out the waiting periods
When you enroll for a pet insurance policy, there is a certain amount of time you have to wait before it will start to reimburse you for vet bills.
Although, every insurance company’s waiting periods vary across the industry.
For instance, companies like Embrace have a 2-day waiting period for accidents while ASPCA has a 15 days accident waiting period.
Keep reading to get more information about pet owners in California as well as California’s pet laws.
Before you travel along with your pet, see this Jetblue Pet Policy for traveling with dogs and cats in 2023.
Other Information For Pet Owners In California
Let’s go over some additional information that will help you and your fur companion live an interesting life in California as well as some Pet Laws now that you are fully informed about pet insurance and why it’s a terrific option.
California Pet Owners
Here are some pet laws in California which are implemented to keep the animals safe you should know about.
- Pets fall under the same laws as children in divorce cases
- Dogs must be licensed
- Some laws dictate breeding
- It is a crime to abandon any pet
- Pet stores may only sell rescues
- Animal fighting is illegal
- Spay/neuter certificates must be given at the time of adoption
- Dogs must have a rabies vaccine
California Pet Resources
Here are some organizations that can help you with the cost of taking care of your pet as a pet owner.
1. SNPLA (Spay/Neuter Project LA): SNPLA is a low-cost clinic that provides affordable flea treatments, vaccinations, wellness, and a free spay/neuter.
Their locations are in Mission Hills, Los Angeles, and San Pedro.
Check their website for more information
2. SPCA for Monterey County (Salinas): This is an organization that provides pet meals specifically for disabled and low-income pet owners.
Click Here to learn more
3. Bakersfield Pet Food Pantry: This is a pet food Pantry that serves low-income pet owners.
Their distribution dates are every second and fourth Saturday of every month from 10 am to 12 pm.
Visit their website to get more information
4. Starfleet Canine Aid Foundation: This is a foundation that helps in providing monetary care for medical help to pet owners.
To apply for this click here.
Don’t fail to read about Emotional Support Animals (Everything You Need to Know).
As a pet owner in California, finding a pet insurance company for your pup that you can rely on is the main objective.
Because, with a lot of options out there, it can be hard to know which one will be best for you and your fur friend.
This is why we have put together these pet insurance companies above and the list of factors you should consider when comparing different plans from various companies in California.
We hope the information in the article helps you with your search for the perfect plan for you and your furry friend.
Frequently Asked Questions
Many pet insurance companies cover hip dysplasia since it’s a hereditary condition.
However, some policies may have extended waiting periods specific to this condition, for example, Lemonade has a 6 months waiting period for cruciate ligament issues.
When it comes to getting the best insurance companies for your dog, it can be a little bit stressful.
Having the best policy for your dog will hove you leave of mind here is our best pick
The best pet insurance companies for your cat or kitten are:
Basically, pet insurance policies don’t cover any health condition that occurs prior to the time of enrollment or during the waiting period.
Some issuers like ASPCA cover pre-existing conditions that are curable and free from symptoms for at least 180 days.
Most pet insurance companies only have coverage for cats and dogs but this is not the case for all companies.
Companies like ASPCA have coverage for horses while Nationwide has a policy for birds and exotic animals.
Pet insurance companies don’t need to have a direct relationship with vets like your health insurance company does.
Since you submit your own claims rather than having the veterinarian handle them for you
This implies that your pet insurance company can work with any licensed veterinarian in the country.
Generally, pet insurance policies don’t cover pre-existing conditions before enrollment or during waiting periods.
In addition, they do not include cosmetic or elective procedures, such as declawing or ear clipping.
- Theoldhouse.com – Best Pet Insurance in California (2023 Reviews)
- Forbes.com – Best Pet Insurance In California 2023
- Marketwatch.com – Best Pet Insurance in California of 2023