You need to start your goat farming business, but now you are left to think of different goat housing construction ideas.
At least, you have to keep the goats in a goat house or goat shed to keep them safe.
There are lots of profits in goat farming business, but first, you must keep the goats alive by providing shelter.
Table of Contents
Difference between a goat house and a pen
It is important for you to know that a goat house is different from a pen.
Pens are smaller than a goat house.
A goat pen is a small section within the goat house or outside of the goat house.
A goat shelter is a low fence or sheds that keep goats from wandering off your care and supervision.
Some people raise goats together with a barn of cattle, but for commercial goat farming, it is best to separate them for better care.
You need to protect your goats from rain and everything wet.
That is if you don’t want the goats to suffer.
Here are some features of a good goat house.
Features of a good goat shed
- Must have bright lighting and proper ventilation.
- The goat housing area must be high enough to keep the goats safe from floods.
- Accessible to food and clean water.
- If you are using wooden floors, the floor should be fitted together. This protects the goats from injury.
- Also, ensure that the floor is strong enough to hold the goats.
- The house must be free of dampness to avoid the spread of diseases.
- It must have a space for storing feed, straw and other equipment required for goat farming business.
- A good goat house must provide protection from cold
- It should also provide protection against predators and thieves.
- The shed must be easy to clean
Now that we know the features of a good goat house, let’s see some cheap materials for constructing one.
Cheap materials for constructing a goat house
The materials you will need for the construction of a goat house will depend on the type of goat housing system you desire.
In general, you will have to mix one or more these materials below to achieve what you want.
- Bamboo – This is good for making the flow of the shed. You can also use bamboo to cover the sides of the goat shed.
- Nails – You need nails for holding woods together and for fastening roofing materials over the shed.
- Straws – This provides bedding for the goats, absorbs uring and faeces and provides a more comfortable area on which goats can walk.
- Roofing materials – For roofing the goat shelter.
- Hammer – For driving in nails.
- Sacks of jute – To cover shed in the winter and cold weather
- Fencing materials – To make a wall fencing the shed.
- Hardwood – For making poles.
- Blocks – For securing the shelter
- Cement – for making concrete shelter
So, what kind of goat house should you construct for your goats?
Types of goat housing
There are three goat housing construction systems you can choose from for commercial goat farming.
- Goat housing construction on the ground
- Construction of goat housing on poles
- Concrete goat house
There you have it, the three types of goat housing systems.
No, let’s look at each of them in details.
Construction of goat house on the ground
Construction of goat shed on the ground is generally the most common house for goats.
It’s quite logical to invest in this type of goat shelter because it does not cost much to set up.
You can use materials like old platters to set up the three sides of the goat shed with a roof above it.
Prepare the floor of this goat shed by spreading dry straw on the floor of the shed.
You must do all you can to keep the house dry and clean always.
This type of goat shed is possible in areas with little rainfall.
As long that water does not flow into the shed in any way, you are good to go.
Construction of goat shed on poles
For starters, this is probably the best type of goat shed you can think of.
You see ‘probably’ because we can’t tell if there will be better technology tomorrow.
And of course, it is cheaper than concrete houses.
Constructing goat houses on poles keep the goats free from damping conditions, flood water etc.
To build this type of goat shelter, you need strong poles on which the shed will balance.
The poles and floor in this housing system are usually made with bamboo or wood.
Just make sure the spacing between the woods on the floor is not too wide so that the goats do not trap themselves in.
Also, you will need to raise the floor of the house to about 1 to 1.5 meters (3.5 to 5 ft) above the ground.
This type of house is very suitable for goat farming because it is very easy to clean.
Diseases are also less in this housing system and the goats love it.
Concrete goat house
If you want something longterm, then go for concrete goat sheds.
Just note that this type of shelter is expensive to build.
You need to make use of concrete with iron rod reinforcements to achieve this.
This house type can either be on the ground or over poles just like the first two house types.
The only difference is the use of concrete to achieve the same goal.
Concrete goat houses come with some advantages; they very easy to clean, and they provide better protection from predators.
In addition, disease occurrence is minimal in this housing system.
There you have it, the top three snail housing construction styles.
Which goat housing style are you going to use for your goat farming business?
Will you start up using the goat house on the ground or the concrete goat house.
I will love to know which one you chose.
For further reading on goat housing, check out this goat housing information guide.
Editor’s Recommended Posts
You may also like to read each of the articles below.
Just click to open in new tab.
Don’t forget to share with your friend using the share buttons on your screen.