If you have not started thinking about starting a pig farm, maybe these benefits of commercial pig farming business will spur you to start.
There are so many benefits of pig farming but this article covers some of the most catchy few.
If you have not read my other article on how to start commercial pig farming business you need to follow the link and read it now.
To be successful at commercial pig farming, here is a list of different domestic pig breeds.
So, let’s get started.
Table of Contents
- 1. Pigs have the advantage of being prolific breeders:
- 2. Pig Farming is a very Lucrative business in Nigeria
- 3. Pigs have a faster growth rate
- 4. Pigs have a high food conversion ratio
- 5. The setup cost and management of commercial pig farming business are easy.
- 6. Pig meat (pork) is in high demand in Nigeria and in Foreign market
- 7. Commercial Pig products
- 7. Commercial pig farming in Nigeria creates employment
- 9. Pig dungs from pig farms are used as manure.
1. Pigs have the advantage of being prolific breeders:
Yes, that’s correct. Commercial pig farming is beneficial due to the fact that pigs are prolific breeders.
A single pig has the capacity to give birth to as much as 10 to 12 piglets in a single birth, making it one of the most reproducing livestock in the world. They can also produce 2 litters/year under ideal pig management practices.
With this kind of reproduction rate, you can be sure of doubling the number of pigs in your farm within a short period of time.
2. Pig Farming is a very Lucrative business in Nigeria
Pig farming in Nigeria is one of the most lucrative and profitable livestock businesses anyone can think of.
Most people who have started the pig rearing business have seen so much success already.
It’s saddening anyway that despite the huge profits obtainable in owning a Piggery, many Nigerians are still overlooking this goldmine.
While many who engage in pig farming do so as a part-time business, a lot of people are ignorant of how it works.
If you can engage in this business fully, you are sure going to smile your way to the bank very soon.
See this short pig farming video documentary of a successful pig farmer in Kenya.
Pig Farming Video: Documentary of a Successful Pig Farmer in Kenya
3. Pigs have a faster growth rate
When compared with other livestock in the same category, you will discover that pigs have a faster growth rate.
Fatteners (piglets you’re raising for meat) can reach marketable weight within six to eight months.
Because of this, you can be very sure of making profits within a short period of time. Of course, with the best pig management practices.
See what these researchers have to say about the growth rate of pigs in this pig farming pdf.
4. Pigs have a high food conversion ratio
Pigs have a very high feed conversion ratio/efficiency (FCR/FCE). This means pigs are able to convert more of the food they eat to body flesh and weight.
They have this advantage over any other class of meat-producing animals with the exception of broilers chickens.
Pigs eat almost anything. They feed on forage crops, spent grain from breweries, byproducts of grains from mills, and garbage.
Isn’t it incredible how this animal is able to convert all of this useless stuff into nutritious meat?
Pigs also have processed meals you can purchase in the market too.
5. The setup cost and management of commercial pig farming business are easy.
Another reason why you should consider Pig farming is because it only needs a small investment in buildings and equipment.
The housing for pig is expensive to construct. A plot of land may just be okay to start a small scale piggery
6. Pig meat (pork) is in high demand in Nigeria and in Foreign market
Trust me when I say pork sells very fast in the market.
The best benefit is you can retain almost 70 to 80% the of body weight of pig as meat after butchering.
Since pigs provide red meat which is a good source of protein, it has gained an excellent demand in Nigeria and in the export market too. China alone consumes over 50% of global pork production. So, you can see the high foreign demand.
Apart from providing red meat, Pork is very tasty too. I urge you to a bite soon. Thank me later.
Pork is very nutritious when it has high fat and low water content. It has a better energy value than any other meat. It is also rich with vitamins such as Thiamine, niacin, and riboflavin and is the world’s most consumed meat.
7. Commercial Pig products
Apart from meat, there are other products gotten from pigs. They include; pig fat, skin, hair, and bones used to make some luxury items.
The chemical industries have an increasing demand for pig fat. This is because, it is used for the production of paints, soaps and other chemical products.
In addition, other processed pig byproducts like ham, bacon, sausages, lard, pork (meat) have good market worldwide.
7. Commercial pig farming in Nigeria creates employment
Commercial pig farming in Nigeria can create employment and help the financially weaker sections/communities.
Pig farm managers, cleaners, veterinary doctors, drivers, etc. are required to run the piggery efficiently.
This creates employment for the local dwellers and contributes to the national economy.
9. Pig dungs from pig farms are used as manure.
Pig manure is commonly used for fertilizing crops and fish ponds. A farmer who keeps pigs and plant crops as well can use the manure from pigs to fertilize his farm. The manure from the pig will improve the nutrient of the soil and make it suitable for crops like maize or okra to yield bountifully.
The importance of pig farming can never be overemphasized. I hope this article spurs you to start enjoying pig farming profits.
If you love this information on this page, please share with someone else to spur the need to start a pig farm.
Please leave a comment below if you have a question or contribution that will improve this article.
Benefits of commercial pig farming business
Here is the summary of the benefits of commercial pig farming in Nigeria;
- Pigs have the advantage of being prolific breeders:
- Pig Farming is a very lucrative business in Nigeria
- Pigs have a faster growth rate
- Pigs have a high food conversion ratio
- The setup cost and management of commercial pig farming business are easy.
- Pig meat (pork) is in high demand in Nigeria and in Foreign market
- Commercial Pig products
- Commercial pig farming in Nigeria creates employment
- Pig dungs from pig farms are used as manure.