Are you looking for tips for beginners on how to go about indoor vegetable gardening?
Beginners considering indoor vegetable gardening are in one of these categories;
- You’re a total novice and do not know where to start from.
- Secondly, you may be confused as to which vegetable plant is best for a start.
- Or you’re wondering what difference exists between outdoor and indoor gardening. In fact, which is best, you ask?
- Or lastly, you want to know the requirements needed to start off your own indoor garden effortlessly.
If you’re in either of these categories, this article in your hands is a mighty sword that dissects this mountainous information.
Growing vegetables indoors has been a lifesaver over the years.
That’s because its planting is not affected by climate regardless of your country of residence.
In fact, many are adopting this gardening technique because it’s easy and produces a higher yield than outdoor gardening. (Especially in regions of harsh climate).
Gardening indoors is one way to reduce daily stress, improve air quality in your home, and reduce carbon dioxide.
Let’s not forget the fact that indoor gardening also beautifies the home.
Now regardless of why you want to go into indoor vegetable gardening, you will love it in the end.
In this article, we have highlighted various tips and tricks that are going to help you have the best indoor garden.
Also, you will find out the best vegetables that thrive well indoors and what to do to sustain their growth.
If you’re willing to start your own indoor vegetable garden, let me walk you through this piece in a few minutes and let you get the information you seek to have the best indoor garden.
What is an Indoor Garden?
For farmers who do not own land or don’t have a land site for gardening purposes one of the remedial solutions is to garden indoors.
What does that mean?
Simply put, indoor gardening is the act of growing your plants, veggies or other agricultural products inside a building with a constant supply of all the nutrients and requirements needed for their growth.
It’s more like doing the whole garden business in-house.
Is it Hard For Beginners to Start Indoor Vegetable Gardening?
Although indoor gardening requires strategic planning, it can be as simple as growing a small cactus in a potting mix and giving it all the needed requirements.
Also, it can be as complicated as growing a full-grown vegetable garden throughout a room.
What this simply means is that indoor gardening can be for you what you want it to be.
It all depends on how big you want to go.
So, in other words, if you want to go large, indoor vegetable gardening requires planning, patience and buying the right plants and equipment.
How hard indoor vegetable gardening can be for beginners depends on how massive they are willing to go.
What Plants Can I Grow In An Indoor Garden?
As a beginner who is looking for indoor gardening tips, one of the questions that come to mind is usually “what kind of plants do well in an indoor garden?”
The fact is the variety of plants you can grow in an indoor garden is virtually limitless.
However, some plants thrive better than others.
Here are some plants that do well when planted indoors as much as they thrive when they’re planted outdoor;
Herbs do well for indoor gardening.
For beginners who want to grow herbs in their indoor garden, it’s usually best to grow herbs from young plants purchased from a garden centre or seed.
Keep in mind they need moderate to high amounts of light and higher temperatures compared to cruciferous vegetables.
Examples of herbs that thrive well indoors include;
Veggies are one of the best garden plants to grow indoors.
However, not all vegetables are perfect for indoor gardening due to lighting and space constraints.
Some vegetables on the other hand thrive well because they have the ability to grow in moderate light and are cold tolerant.
Here’s a list of popular vegetables that can be grown in an indoor garden;
- Swiss Chard
- Hot Peppers
- Leafy Salad Greens
- Carrots or root crops
- Green Onions/Scallions
What Do Beginners Need To Set Up An Indoor Vegetable Garden?
Starting a garden from scratch can be a really interesting process.
For a newbie in the business, you need Gardening Tips And Tricks For Beginners to know how best to pull this stunt.
For a starter, you need to have the right indoor gardening supplies or kits to set up your own garden.
Some of the things you need for this process include;
- Light: This could either be direct sunlight from the windows or opening on the roof or indirect light or a grow light.
- Gardening Medium: Secondly, you need to have a growth media for your plants. One of the Gardening Tips For Growing Vegetables, is to grow veggies in a raised bed. However, you use a container or pot with proper drainage or even hanging baskets as a growth media for your plants.
- Water: You need water or a water source for your plants. It’s ideal if you get a hose to make watering the plants easy.
- Pebbles And Peat Moss: This helps to represent the soil as it would have been outdoors.
- Source of Humidity: This you can fabricate using a spray bottle or mister.
- Temperature Control: This could be a thermostat, grow lights, or a seedling warmth mat.
- Fertilizer Or Manure: For plants to grow well, you need to supply them constantly with plant food or compost to help replenish the nutrition & nutrients in the dirt.
- Seeds Or Transplants: Of course there is no garden without a seed plant or transplants. So you need them to set up your indoor garden.
- Oscillating Air Fan: What For? Your guess is as good as mine. The plants need an oscillating fan to keep the environment cool and windy just like in the outdoor garden.
How Do I Start An Indoor Vegetable Gardening For Beginners?
Starting a vegetable garden is ideal for your home and for business if you deem it fit.
For someone who hasn’t done anything gardening before, you should look at “How To Start A Garden From Scratch”.
Even as you make plans to start your veggie garden, first get your indoor garden kits.
Your indoor garden kits contain everything you need for gardening.
You can get it online or in a local store.
Here is what to do to set up your own indoor garden easy-breezy;
- Purchase your seeds from a trusted source.
- Gather your pots with a seed-starting mix.
- Ensure your containers have drainage holes.
- Proceed to plant seeds at the proper depth.
- After planting, set the containers in a warm location.
- Ensure the seed-starting mix is moist.
- Immediately the seedlings emerge, move the pots to a bright location.
- Cool room temperature is best for seedlings.
- Commence weekly fertilization.
- Once seedlings have two sets of leaves, it’s time to thin.
Let’s Buttress some of the points more;
#1. Make A Choice Of Location.
Because it’s an indoor garden, you need to consider the size of the veggies and herbs you want to grow.
Choose a space that can accommodate the plants and still give them breathing space.
You can use your kitchen, an empty room or your basement.
As long as the plants get enough light that’s pretty perfect.
#2. Gather Your Containers.
Because you’re growing indoors you need to grow your vegetables in a pot or container.
A good plastic container with a drainage hole able to hold enough moisture is ideal.
A Raised Bed Vegetable Gardening For Beginners is also ideal just in case you cannot source enough containers.
#3. Go Get Your Soil.
For beginners growing indoor vegetable gardening, we recommend you use potting soil.
In fact, organic potting soil with minerals and nutrients is the ideal soil for growing veggies indoors.
You can either buy or make them.
#4. Regulate the Temperature & Climate.
Ensure you regulate the amount of heat in the enclosed system for the plants according to the climate.
Indoor farming makes regulation of temperature and water volume very possible.
If your plants are affected by unnecessary amounts of sun you can control the measurement of sunlight.
Or simply you can move the potted plants to a shadier location to reduce incoming sunlight.
#5. Fertilize Your Plants Regularly But Not Too Much.
In an indoor garden, the amount of nutrients available to the plant is usually enough for it because of less competition in the pot.
Fertilizing the plants is necessary but in a regulated manner, weekly, monthly, or once or twice in three months.
Find out the best fit for your plants.
Via these processes, you can set up your garden and plant your preferred seed of choice in the container.
When is the Best Time to Start Gardening Indoor?
The fact is every time is right to start indoor gardening.
Compared to outdoor gardening which requires you to plant according to climate and weather change, indoor gardens can be planted anytime.
Simply put, you don’t have to wait for the rainy season to be over or for the harmattan winds to cease to plant your vegetables and other indoor plants.
This is so because you can regulate the heat, water, humidity, air circulation as well as temperature of the garden.
As long as you can do this, indoor vegetable gardening for beginners can be started at any time.
Frequently Asked Questions About Indoor Vegetable Gardening For Beginners.
What Kind Of Veggies Is Best To Start Indoors?
Plants that are best started indoors are those that have slower root development.
Also, plants that grow indoors are ones that prefer low to medium amounts of light and don’t take up a ton of space.
- Brussels sprouts
When Should I Start Planting Vegetables?
For indoor farming, every time is perfect to start vegetable gardening.
However, for outdoor gardening, the ideal time for planting vegetables depends on the type of vegetable.
Can I Grow Vegetables Indoors All Year Round?
Yes! You can.
In fact, the essence of growing vegetables indoors is to keep them in supply all year round.
I believe you can see that indoor gardening is very much possible.
And the good news is that the remoteness of weather, humidity, air circulation, heat, light and temperature lies in your hands.
With dedication, patience, and supplies you can have one of the best indoor vegetable gardens you can run all year round the general climate notwithstanding.
You can also lookup Gardening Tips For Growing Vegetables.
Between indoor and outdoor gardening of Vegetables, which is ideal for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section.